Just about everyone has a banana bread recipe. The best recipes are the ones gotten from friends and family passed down and made your own. At least I think so. This is a recipe I got from a college friend years ago, and it has slowly morphed into my Honey Banana Macadamia Nut Bread.
This is a thicker, heavier yet moist bread with tons of flavor. I switched out the sugar (a whopping 3/4 of a cup) and added 1/4 of a cup of sweet honey to compliment the fragrant bananas. I then replaced the walnuts and added leftover toasted macadamia nuts from my white chocolate macadamia nut cookies I made a couple weeks ago.
Now that shortening is trans fat free, I switched out the fattening butter and used butter flavored shortening instead. To my surprise, it left the bread even more moist than before, which I love.
I replaced the two tablespoons of water needed with the shortening for espresso coffee, and added just a bit of cinnamon to round it out.
My favorite part of this banana bread? It made great french toast the next day . . . which didn't last long enough to even take one picture. If you decide to try it yourself, pour your egg mixture over the banana bread in a deep baking pan and refrigerate over night, then when the bread has soaked up the egg mixture, bake at 350 until golden brown in the same pan, about 30 minutes.
Honey Banana Macadamia Nut Bread
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 tbsp espresso or dark coffee (no cream or sugar added)
- 1/4 cup light honey
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup crushed toasted macadamia nuts * (see recipe below)
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl, mash four ripe bananas. (They should be very fragrant with black spots on the peel.)
- With a wooden spoon, mix 1/3 of a cup of shortening in the bananas.
- Wet the inside of a measuring cup and pour honey. (This will allow the honey to pour out easier.) Add to banana mixture. Stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg and add vanilla. Pour in banana mixture and stir to mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir to mix and add to the banana mixture.
- Add macadamia nuts to banana mixture.
- Rub shortening on the inside of one bread pan, and pour mixture in.
- Bake one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.
For the Toasted Macadamia Nuts
- 1 small bag of macadamia nuts
- 1 cookie sheet
- wax paper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Toast nuts for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
- When cooled place nuts in a a baggie and roll over with a rolling pin to crush.